Programs and Opportunities for Students
- Resources for POCs in STEAM – Miché Aaron
- ASLO Multicultural Program
- Related article – Benjamin E. Cuker, Clarisse Haxton, Carmen Martinez (2016), How a Scientific Society Built Multicultural Diversity: A 25-Year-Long Journey
- WONDER grant
WONDER endeavors to address inequalities in Earth and space sciences by providing grant support to a Black or Indigenous woman with a demonstrated interest in Earth science to attend an AGU conference.
Graduate Student Resources
(from Dr. Julie Posselt, UCS)
- The Diversity – Innovation Paradox in Science
- “Am I going crazy?!” – A Critical Race Analysis of Doctoral Education
- Responding to Racism and Racial Trauma in Doctoral Study – An Inventory for Coping and Mediating Relationships
- Graduate students’ agency and resistance after oppressive experiences
- Bait and Switch – Representation, Climate, and Tensions of Diversity Work in Graduate Education
- My sister’s keeper – Mentoring experiences of Black women
Activities & Actions
- A Call to Action for an Anti-Racist Science Community from Geoscientists of Color: Listen, Act, Lead
- The GOOD MEN Project
- Project Implicit – bias test/training on varying levels and on multiple topics
- Tidal Project – Women’s rights, LGBT, Racial Justice, Free Speech, Immigration Reform
- Anti-Racism Resource Collection
- Scaffolded Anti-Racist Resources
- “Anti-racism resources for white people”
- 500 Women Scientists – Communicating Your Support for #BLACKLIVESMATTER
- United Nations – fighting racism
- Geo Reading for Equity
- Talking about Race in Earth and Space Science (16-page action-oriented framework with multiple links. Lerback (2020) doi: 10.5281/zenodo.3897373)
- Diversity and Inclusion Resources for Our Campus Community – training opportunities through NC State
- National Association of Black Geoscientists, scholarships for students
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science
- SOLESS – Society of Latinxs/Hispanics in Earth and Space Science
- American Indian Science and Indian Society
- Diverse Geologists and their resource list
- DEI resources & organizations listing
- Organizations working to make earth, environmental & space science more equitable and inclusive spaces
Papers and Peer-reviewed Articles
Articles about underrepresented groups and teaching and learning
- Dutt, K. 2020. Race and racism in the geosciences. Nature Geoscience 13, 2–3
- Goldberg, E. 2019. Earth Science has a whiteness problem. New York Times, December 23
Articles about creating equity/inclusion in our classes/teaching
- Beane, R., et al. 2019. Probing the National Geoscience Faculty Survey for reported use of practices that support inclusive learning environments in undergraduate courses, Journal of Geoscience Education, 67:4, 427-445,
- Tanner, K.D, 2013. Structure matters: Twenty-One teaching strategies to promote student engagement and cultivate classroom equity. CBE-Life Science Education, 12, 322-331.
- Theobald et al., 2020. Active learning narrows achievement gaps for underrepresented students in undergraduate science, technology, engineering and math. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 117:12, 6476-6483.
- Yeager, D.A., and Walton, G.M., 2011, Social-psychological interventions in education: They’re not magic. Review of Educational Research, 81:2, 267-301.
- Weissmann, G.S., et al. 2019. The multicontext path to redefining how we access and think about diversity, equity, and inclusion in STEM, Journal of Geoscience Education, 67:4, 320-329.
Articles about supporting broader cultural reforms in departments, communities etc.
- Journal of Geoscience Education, 2019, Volume 4 Theme Issue: New Developments in Diversity and Inclusiveness in the Geosciences
- Johnson, A., and Elliott, S., 2020, Culturally relevant pedagogy: A model to guide cultural transformation in STEM departments. Journal of Microbiology & Biology Education, 21:1, p.1-12
- McDaris, J.R., et al. 2017. Looking in the right places: Minority-serving institutions as sources of diverse earth science learners. Journal of Geoscience Education, 65, 407-415.
- Núñez, A-M, et al. 2020. Applying an intersectionality lens to expand equity in the geosciences, Journal of Geoscience Education, 68:2, 97-114,
- Tseng, M., El-Sabaawi, R.W., Kantar, M.B. et al. Strategies and support for Black, Indigenous, and people of colour in ecology and evolutionary biology. Nat Ecol Evol (2020). https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-020-1252-0
- Fernandes, A. M., Abeyta, A., Mahon, R. C., Martindale, R., Bergmann, K. D., Jackson, C. A., … Johnson, C. (2020, July 15). “Enriching Lives within Sedimentary Geology”: Evaluating SEPM’s Role in Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. https://doi.org/10.31223/osf.io/y7v9e (EarthArXiv Pre-print)
- Steele, C.M., and Aronson, J., 1995, Stereotype threat and the intellectual test performance of African Americans; Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 69:5, 797-811. (key article about stereotype threat)
Other articles and media (not peer-reviewed, e.g., Career Features in Nature, etc…)
- We Condemn All Institutional Racism Except Our Own – Satire from McSweeney’s
- Decolonising Science Reading List, – Chanda Prescod-Weinstein
- Lee, R., & Ahtone, T. (2020, March 30). Land-grab universities. High Country News.
- Expropriated Indigenous land is the foundation of the land-grant university system.
- The time tax put on scientists of colour – Nature Career Feature, 2020, June 24
- Queer voices in palaeontology – Nature Career Column, 2019, July 05
- What Black scientists want from colleagues and their institutions – Nature Career Feature, 2020, June 22
- Nature Astronomy Focus: Gender equity in astronomy – Focus issue of Nature Astronomy
- Hazards of Field Work While Black – video by YouTube user, Black Thoughts, a Nigerian-American geoscience graduate student
- (Trying to) Do Science While Grieving – video by YouTube user, Black Thoughts, a Nigerian-American geoscience graduate student
- Uncomfortable Conversations With A Black Man – website/videos
- Accessible Education in Geoscience – The Unassailable Peak? – Rock Ed Radio