I teach undergraduate and graduate courses in General Geology and Natural Hazards, Earth Surface Processes (Geomorphology), and Field Geology (aka Field Camp). Students in my group conduct research around the world, including in Mongolia, Greece, the Pacific Northwest, and of course in North Carolina. Typical student research projects include a combination of field-based studies that are paired with geospatial analysis and modeling.
Ph.D. Earth and Environmental Sciences Lehigh University 2008
M.S. Earth and Planetary Sciences University of New Mexico 1999
B.A. Geology Whitman College 1996
Area(s) of Expertise
My research interests include the intersections of the fields of geomorphology, active tectonics, paleoseismology, paleoclimatology, and biogeomorphology.
- Curvature Weighted Decimation: A Novel, Curvature-Based Approach to Improved Lidar Point Decimation of Terrain Surfaces , Geomatics (2023)
- Planetary geoarchaeology as a new frontier in archaeological science: Evaluating site formation processes on Earth's Moon , GEOARCHAEOLOGY-AN INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL (2023)
- A Morphometric Investigation of Large-Scale Crustal Shortening on Mars , JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-PLANETS (2022)
- CLUMPED ISOTOPE CONSTRAINTS ON WARMING AND PRECIPITATION SEASONALITY IN MONGOLIA FOLLOWING ALTAI UPLIFT , AMERICAN JOURNAL OF SCIENCE (2022)
- Channel head response to anthropogenic landscape modification: A case study from the North Carolina Piedmont, USA, with implications for water quality , Earth Surface Processes and Landforms (2022)
- Contrasting late Miocene to present weathering regimes across the Khangay Mountains, Mongolia , Journal of Asian Earth Sciences: X (2022)
- Decoupling between fluvial aggradation-incision dynamics and paleo-denudation rates during the last glacial cycle, Crete, Greece , (2022)
- Evaluation of machine learning-based algorithms for landslide detection across satellite sensors for the 2019 Cyclone Idai event, Chimanimani District, Zimbabwe , Landslides (2022)
- Insights on the growth and mobility of debris flows from repeat high-resolution lidar , LANDSLIDES (2022)
- Paleo‐denudation rates suggest variations in runoff drove aggradation during last glacial cycle, Crete, Greece , Earth Surface Processes and Landforms (2022)