Joe Zambon PhD
I am a Research Assistant Professor with the Ocean Observing and Modeling Group in the Department of Marine, Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at North Carolina State University (Raleigh, NC).
My dissertation investigated atmosphere-ocean interaction during landfalling tropical cyclones and I received my Ph.D. from North Carolina State University in December 2014. My postdoctoral research, concluded in early 2017, was to develop the Coupled Northwest Atlantic Prediction System (CNAPS), a quasi-operational 72hr coupled (ocean-atmosphere-wave) model with real-time model validation and user-integrated functionality.
My outside interests including working as a Volunteer Firefighter and EMT with the Swift Creek Rural Fire Department in Cary, NC. I am also a private pilot, volunteer for Pilots N Paws, enjoy SCUBA diving, and play recreational league ice hockey.
Additional Information and Profile Links
- Impact of SST and Surface Waves on Hurricane Florence (2018): A Coupled Modeling Investigation , Weather and Forecasting (2021)
- Atmospheric forcing of the Hatteras coastal ocean during PEACH , (2020)
- Integrating WRF Hydro into the Coupled Ocean-Atmosphere-Wave-Sediment Transport (COAWST) modeling system: application to Hurricane Florence (2018) , (2020)
- Investigating hurricane-induced compound flooding and sediment dispersal using coupled hydrology and ocean models , (2020)
- Investigation of extreme weather, ocean current, wave, and coastal flooding during Hurricane Florence (2018) using the Coupled Ocean–Atmosphere–Wave–Sediment Transport (COAWST) model , (2020)
- Ocean responses to major hurricanes during PEACH: a model synthesis study , (2020)
- WRF explicit surface wave modeling experiments beneath Hurricane Florence (2018) , (2019)
- Examining the influence of caribbean sea upper ocean variability on Hurricane Ivan (2004) using uncoupled and coupled simulations , (2018)
- From top to bottom: an investigation of wintertime atmosphere-ocean interaction in the vicinity of the Gulf Stream in January 2018 , (2018)
- Hurricane Florence and its impact on coastal ocean off Carolinas, United States , (2018)