NC State Chancellor Randy Woodson announced the 2016-17 class of University Faculty Scholars today. The 22 recipients represent top early- and mid-career faculty who are pursuing research to solve society’s most pressing problems.
University Faculty Scholars carry their title for a five-year period and receive a $10,000 annual award for supplemental salary and benefits, or for programmatic support. The Provost’s Office oversees the program, which was established by Chancellor Woodson in 2012.
Faculty members are nominated by their colleges and selected by a committee of senior faculty. Nominations are limited to assistant professors who have been reappointed for a second term, all associate professors and professors within the first three years of appointment at that rank. Nominees are evaluated on their research and scholarship productivity, excellence in teaching and mentoring, and leadership in extension, professional societies and public service initiatives.
This year’s class of University Faculty Scholars includes:
- Margaret Blanchard, associate professor of science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) education
- Lorena Bociu, assistant professor of mathematics
- Kofi Boone, associate professor of landscape architecture
- Sarah Bowen, associate professor of sociology and anthropology
- Lisa Chapman, associate professor of textile and apparel, technology and management
- Chih-Hao Chang, assistant professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering
- Ke Cheng, associate professor of molecular biomedical sciences
- Owen Duckworth, associate professor of crop and soil sciences
- Ryan Emanuel, associate professor of forestry and environmental resources
- Troy Ghashghaei, associate professor of molecular biomedical sciences
- Zhen Gu, associate professor of biomedical engineering
- Douglas Irving, associate professor of materials science and engineering
- Audrey Jaeger, professor of educational leadership, policy and human development
- Xiaoning Jiang, professor of mechanical and aerospace engineering
- Steve McDonald, associate professor of sociology and anthropology
- Anne McLaughlin, associate professor of psychology
- Fay Cobb Payton, professor of information technology
- Joshua Pierce, assistant professor of chemistry
- Balaji Rao, associate professor of chemical and biomolecular engineering
- Chris Reberg-Horton, associate professor of crop and soil sciences
- Ana-Maria Staicu, associate professor of statistics
- Wenqiao Yuan, associate professor of biological and agricultural engineering
This post was originally published in NC State News.